A beginners’ guide to writing short stories
- Duration – 5 weeks
- Course begins – January 20, 2020 (on demand course)
- Fees: Rs. 4,999/-
- Age group: 13 years and above
Vishwesh Desai, winner of the Rana Kapoor Award for Young Talent in Literature, teaches the fundamentals of writing short fiction: how to plan plotlines, craft characters, and shape settings.
The course is intended for those passionate about writing or writers looking to take their work to the next level. Over five weeks of lessons, in-depth analysis of acclaimed works, and assignments, you will learn how to write short stories and receive personalised feedback on your work from Vishwesh.
By the end of the course you will:
- Be familiar with the basic elements of a story
- Have analysed critically-acclaimed short stories in depth
- Write a complete short story, using what you have learnt about the workings of the form
About the Course
The course is divided into five modules, each of which introduces an aspect of the craft of writing fiction. Your knowledge will be developed through pre-recorded lessons, the analysis of samples of writing, and writing exercises.
The modules are posted weekly. Each module is one to one-and-a-half hours long. Every week you will submit an assignment to your instructor, who will then respond with constructive feedback and advice.
Module assignments are between 500 and 1,500 words. Your instructor will give you written feedback on every assignment you submit.
- The Six Traits of Writing – learn what it is that constitutes a good piece of writing by analyzing it on the basis of the six traits of writing.
- Setting – create and develop the canvas where your story unfolds.
- Characters – craft complex, compelling characters that drive your story and grasp your readers’ hearts.
- Plot and Theme – plan a comprehensive, engaging schematic for your story, alongside an overarching thematic structure that provokes thought in your readers.
- Narration – learn the nuances of showcasing your story.
About the Instructor